PUK generally stands for personal unlock key. Happens to be unique for each sim card and used to unlock the card if blocked. the numbers are 8 digits long offering a connection to your sim card and is only know to the user of the card. The codes work if one blocks their sim card by entering wrong sim passcode for approximately three times. This gives a notion the card isn’t your and maybe fraud is taking place thus sending it telecom service providers automatically locking the card.
This where PUK code comes in handy, in most cases two PUK codes are issued on the SIM card. This shouldn’t be a big task though one might have lost the numbers. So when do we need the PUK code?
Every sim card is set to have extra security to ensure safety for the user’s information. This is experienced if one turns off the phone and getting back it will require the passcode to open. If wrong pin is given an automated message will appear telling you the PUK has been locked. Note one can never enter PUK code 10 times, by doing this it will compel you to buy new sim card. which means all your contacts and details will be distorted unless saved elsewhere.
How to obtain the SIM card PUK code?
- Check on the SIM card package.
All sim cards come with PUK on the sim card holder. The PUK codes two each comprising 8 digits.
- Check on the box for the PUK code
- Request for help from the retail shop you bought he sim card from.
- Contacting the telecom provider
Telecom providers have set help desk panel who assist on any matter. Getting to this point is when one has lost the packaging and the sim is locked. Get the toll free call numbers and contact the mobile network service.
- Call the network provider where a new PUK code is offered or even the old code issued back. This won’t be easy as you have to answer some questions to verify ownership of the sim card.
- You require details like the date of birth, registration information and address. some go further to ask details on the sim card. This is to prove you are the right owner and avoid misunderstanding or theft cases.
- Go on the website page of the mobile network provider
This applies if the sim card holder has an online account from the network provider.
- Visit the website page and login to the mobile account using your smart device or PC.
- Search for PUK code on the menu according to the network provider.
- With steps given by the system select unblock sim card and new pages will appear giving different instructions.
- For prepaid mobile phone, PUK codes will also appear online. Provide the mobile number and personal details required. Getting an online account is easy as you provide same details to prove identity and there an account is created.